Re: [oletrucks] Wow -- I'm making some headway now!

To: paulblosser@earthlink.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Wow -- I'm making some headway now!
From: "Jeff Davis" <jsd51@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 14:20:09 PDT
Paul,

     When I installed the rearend in my '51 I used a rearend out of a '84
camaro (disc brakes) and leaf springs out of a '79 firebird. Believe the
rearend to be a little wide but intend to counter that with offset wheels.
The one learning experience I did have was that the "new" leafsprings are
much more foregiving than the stock ones. So you can't just mount them in
the same location as the old ones. After making new shakle hangers for the
rear (new springs 2 1/2" wide) ,tacking in the front shackles, setting the
rearend in place, putting on tires, and then adding the approx. bed
weight(me and the old rearend) I discovered that the rear shackles rolled
clear around to where they were only about an inch from the frame. Needless
to say that it wouldn't take much of a bump in the road to bounce the back
end of the leaf spring off the frame.Sooooo, took every thing apart,cut and
ground all the welds, moved the front shackle forward 3 1/2" , tacked it in
place AGAIN ,put everything back together and tried again only to find that
I fixed the spring problem but created another. You see this rolled the rear
axle about 4 degrees from where I wanted it, and of course , thinking that I
had it right the first time, I had it welded to the new mounts that I made.
Soooooo, took it all apart again, cut off the axle mounts, ground everything
down smooth, put the axle mounts on the springs, set the axle in place, and
"TACKED" it to the mounts. Now I can align the pinion angle of the rearend
with the tranny as soon as I get all that mounted. All of this took one full
saturday at about 95 degrees but it still felt good once I was done. Still
have to mount the sway bar and shocks but that'll come after I get the
pinion angle set.
     Speaking of pinion angle, I've heard one theory of "up to 6 degrees"
and another of "about 2 1/2 degrees" , this is the one I chose to accept.
Would sure be interested in knowing what it says in your video from no limit
when you get a chance to view it. Anyway I've chattered long enough. Hope
this info. might save someone some work somewhere along the way.
     P.S.-- Whenever possible, use clamps instead of tack welding to test
fit. Saves time and sweat:)

Jeff Davis
'51 custom