Re: [oletrucks] 216 engine performance questions

To: RobXR250@aol.com, _Oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 216 engine performance questions
From: David G Shier <dshier@rmi.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 09:27:38 -0600
Rob, I have a 50 1/2 ton with a sweet running 216 so we are keeping the 216 and
putting a dual carb Fenton intake and we got new Fenton headers.  We are not
doing this to get more power especially but doing it as a nostalgia trip to use
in parades, shows and driving around our immediate area.

If you were going to get serious with your 216 I would recommend putting in
insert bearings to replace the babbit bearings as one of the first things.
There are machine shops around the country who have done this many times.  I
would not expect a stock 216 engine to hold up long under serious speed
equipment.  We grew up driving these in the 50's and had our share of continuous
engine maintenance involving rod replacement and shimming and unshimming of
these babbit rods and after the shims were all used up we filed the rod caps
until finally having to turn the cranks down and rebabbit the rods again.

It was a lot of fun when we were young but would not recommend it these days.  I
would call someone like Jim Carter who might know the machine shop to use in
your area.  Here in Southern Colorado the last job I saw was by Bob's Machine in
Pueblo, Colorado.

Sincerely,
Dave Shier
www.mtntown.com