Re: [oletrucks] Muncie Trannys

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Muncie Trannys
From: "Kevin D. Pennell" <pennellkd@f-a-s-t.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 22:39:17 -0400
Wow, What a blast from the past!! I'm pulling this one from deep in the
archives of "The School of Hard Knocks"...  Seems like ages ago, but I ran a
67' GTO with a seriously built WW400 Big Block for a few years, doing the
red light to red light routine.  Tranny after tranny (Borg Warner T-10's and
Saginaws alike) departed the planet in very loud - and expensive -  clouds
of teeth, and splines and shaft pieces exploding through the cases, along
with a flywheel visiting me once in a very real kind of personal way as it
passed through the passenger compartment on it's way to the moon...   But
that wasn't a tranny problem...  Anyway, I finally ended up with an M-22
Muncie Rock Crusher.  Once I installed that one, I had to fix all the rest
of the stuff in the driveline that I then broke.  But the tranny held up,
and I broke a few backs of the non-GM crowd too...  I'm thinking it had a
cast iron case, with very close ratio gears, and it was built like a
Clydesdale relative to other available options, but memory is also
relative...  Something sticks with me about that being the heaviest manual
tranny I've ever had the pleasure of removing from my ribcage while laying
in the gravel under a car...  I do know that I quit spending money on
tranny's once I got that one.  When someone mentions an M-22 Muncie, I also
know that this phrase immediately crosses my mind:  "Now THAT is a
transmission."  It merits respect as a sound piece of equipment, even if I
don't remember it's specifications.

Yours, Kevin
59' Apache 38/NAPCO