Re: [oletrucks] Muncie Trannys

To: <STMSymank@aol.com>, <rameyfam@n-link.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Muncie Trannys
From: "Lonnie L. Dickey" <mdickey@silverback.gorilla.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 21:49:44 -0500
  I believe that Stan hit it pretty close. There were two families of
Muncie(s). I seem to
remember the older family was used up to '69 and the later '69 and after.
The later version
was beefed up and better equipped internally. Some of the older ones, for
example, did not
have syncro on all four forward gears.

  The later version had three members M20, M21, M22. The M22 was the "Rock
Crusher"
and got its name from the heavy gears used. They sounded like you were
crushing rocks
even on your best shifts if you weren't watching what you did. There is
another way to see
which you have. In addition to the finer spline you can look for a three
ring patter of grooves
on the input shaft. I can look up the pattern if you want. It also
identifies the tranny model.
In either method we assume the input shaft is not swapped in from another
unit. You should
check other indications.

  I have used Muncie transmissions (all post '69) in several cars. I have
not had a problem
with durability (read aluminum case) unless it was from serious abuse and
bone headed
stupidity(not mine).

Lonnie