RE: [oletrucks] A question from my son... plus...

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] A question from my son... plus...
From: "Kevin D. Pennell" <pennellkd@f-a-s-t.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 02:25:21 -0400
Hello K & B,

  First of all, the cab will fit as advertised.  Your choice as to the 1/2
ton or 3/4 ton drivetrain should depends on what you're going to do with the
truck!  Daily driver, non-work truck the half ton should be wonderful---AND
ride a heck of a lot better than the 3/4!  It'll still do a bunch of work
too.  Better ensure you have a bed that will fit also, as basic
Chevy info is as follows:
  Model 3100 is a 114    inch wheelbase 1/2 ton.  Vin code 3A...
  Model 3200 is a 123.25 inch wheelbase 1/2 ton.  Vin code 3B...
  Model 3600 is a 123.25 inch wheelbase 3/4 ton.  Vin code 3E...
  Model 3800 is a 135    inch wheelbase   1 ton.  Vin code 3G...
In model years 58 and 59, the factory dropped the last two digits on the
fender emblems, so they read 31, 32, 36, 38.

  I personally think the show idea with the tailgate done and the rest of
the truck "as is" is a "Wonderful" idea!  I think a lot of Dad's (such as
myself) would look at one, then the other, and view it as a motivational
thing!!!  Proof that it can be done..  Proof that hard work and effort do
pay off!!  Y'know... that kind of thing.  I'd have to say to my son...  Hey
Mike, check this out!  Look what they started with, and look what it's
becoming!!! Cool!  But I think he'd probably say that to me first!

  I'll tell you that I'm working with my youngest now (16 year old) on his
truck  ---Still!!--  After several years!!!  He's worked and saved and put a
lot of hard earned money into it himself.  It still looks ragged, but the
driveline is completely re-done, and I'm really very proud if him.  He's
been a little crushed at times by the comments of a few "old timers", but
I've tried to work him through those things, and ensure he knows that he may
hear a lot of opinions, some good and some bad.  He should listen to them
all and filter them, but "His Opinion" is the one that counts the most!
Whew, got wordy, No?  O.K. I'll end it.  Go for it Dad, and defend his honor
if necessary.  He may learn a little of how to take the good with the bad.
Be prepared for both.

Kevin
59' Apache 38/NAPCO