Re: [oletrucks] A question from my son... plus...

To: "K & B" <apache58truck@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] A question from my son... plus...
From: Don Kasbohm <milw8170@dmci.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 00:20:34 -0400
At 11:46 PM 9/10/99 EDT, you wrote:

>Also... we've got an old car and truck show that is coming
>up in October.  Just a local thing that draws about 100 to 200 vehicles.
>Well, my son REALLY wants to enter his "barely started
>rust bucket" apache in the show!  (I'll be glad to send a photo to give an
>idea of it's condition.) I love his desire to be a part
>of the show, but is this a good idea at such an early stage of restoration?
>
>He really wants to enter the show, but I don't want to get run out of town!
>So...what do you think of -=this=- related idea? ===>  Since we've already
>started restoring the tailgate (as I'm teaching him the step-by-step
>restoration process)... I wondered if we could fully restore just the
>tailgate and display it (with restoration photos) in an educational manner
>in front of the actual "ruct bucket" which we plan to restore over the next
>8 or 9 years.
>
>Is anything like this ever done, or might it be a big mistake?  Might folks
>who have entered their finished "show vehicles" be upset with our father &
>son "educational"... in progress entry?

I don't know about the tailgate idea, although It's a pretty neat and
original concept. But, if you can whip the truck into good enough shape to
get to the show safely and legally in time, I say hey, go for it! Who cares
what everybody else thinks, as long as you and you boy are having a good
time? Keep in mind also that many car shows give out a trophy for "Best
Unfinished". Sounds like he'd be a happy camper if you were to win that.
Get it street-legal, and go enjoy yourself! Just my .02
Don Kasbohm
'59 GMC 100 V8