Re: [oletrucks] A question from my son... plus...

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] A question from my son... plus...
From: Josh Keady <keady@wizzards.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 99 23:47:23 -0700
Ken,

Others have posted similar comments regarding the enjoyment you and your
son receive from working on your truck together, but I thought you might
enjoy hearing those comments from a child's point of view.

I am currently 15 years old and have been around mechanical things and
the people that repair them all of my life.  My grandfather and my father
both were/are the two greatest influences in my life because of their
values and ideas... many of which were instilled in me while we were in
the garage and under the hood.  My grandfather was a truck driver nearly
all of his life, and I think my earliest memories were of being up in the
cab of his newest truck at the time, while he showed me all of the gauges
and knobs.  He died of cancer about 3 years ago unfortunately, but time I
spent in his shop with him and my father, servicing his truck, put a bond
so strong between all of us, that I have a bit of a tear in my eye just
writing about it.  My father and I now spend much of our time working on
our 1970 3/4 ton that my grandfather purchased for us from his neighbor,
just one year prior to Grandpa's death.  The truck is wonderful, but the
time we spend together discussing ways to overcome both problems with the
truck and problems in life is the best time spent.

A common interest is the best way to bond with your child OR parent, and
is the best way to to keep a channel of communication wide open between
you.  Ole trucks are, in my opinion, the best bond a child and parent can
share.

Josh Keady

'70 3/4 ton Custom Camper