Re: [oletrucks] Change can be good!

To: "Rob & Margie J." <rjjmsj@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Change can be good!
From: blwright <blwright@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 23:43:43 +0100
OK, I didn't start the list and I've only been on it for a year, but the idea of
it breaking up over something as silly as e-Bay posts (which is superficially
the cause) is truly disappointing to me.   Also, I don't think our interest are
all that terribly divergent: AD, TF, stock and modified -- if you ask our
neighbors, we are all old junk nuts.

On the other hand, my alternative is a nice country-club-like stock TF 58-9 list
where we don't allow the riff-raff with older (or newer) junk and only two
headlights to soil our electronic carpets.  Probably, we don't want the people
with fleetsides or 3/4 ton trucks in it either; you must have a 235 with the
original spark plugs (no cracked porcelain).  And don't try to join if your
truck doesn't run or if you have equipped a modified rear-end or transmission;
the radio must be AM-only.  I guess we can be flexible on electric wipers, but
no intermittents.   Paint must be original or color-matched and any
customization beyond pinstripes will have to be reviewed by all the members.  If
the clutch has been replaced, it must be NOS; same for tires and all other
replacable parts.  All repairs or upgrades must be done in accordance with the
shop manual, using the GM #'d specialty tool recommended or else.  Keeping the
list pure in this way may be tough, but it will pay off by re-assuring list
members that they are in the company of good people just like themselves.  It is
so much easier to relax when you are among your own kind of people and don't
have to deal with new ideas or E-bay posts all the time.  Of course, we'll have
a trial period for new members, so if they show signs of weakness for V-8's or a
tendency to be interested in other (different kinds of) peoples' experiences or
model years we can black-ball them; same if they just annoy one or two of us.
Haven't most suburban developments gone this route with excellent results in
terms of quality of life?  Maybe we can call it the Pine Breeze 58 Stock Club
List; for now that I think about it, allowing '59's just because they share some
parts is probably over-inclusive.  Better safe than sorry -- we have to think
about the children.

THIS IDEA IS A JOKE and not at all a good idea, by the way, but I hope you all
get my point.

Burton