Re: [oletrucks] Is this truck in reasonable condition?

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Is this truck in reasonable condition?
From: Bill Bailey <billb@gamewood.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 07:04:28 -0400
At 01:58 PM 09/20/1999 PDT, you wrote:
>Before I start putting money into my 1952 Chevy 1/2 ton, I would like to get
>the opinions of those who are no strangers to body work.  I've created a
>little web site that shows the areas of concern on the truck.  Please have a
>look and let me know what you think -
>
>    http://www.microsolution.sk.ca/52Chevy/
>

>Thanks,
>
>Mike Auser
>'48 Chevy 1/2 ton
>'52 Chevy 1/2 ton

Mike
I would say that your truck would be about par for the course here in
Virginia as far as condition goes. I have seen a whole *WHOLE* lot worse
brought back from the dead.  My tailgate was about like yours. My feeling
on tailgates is that they have always seen a lot of work and most likely
the easiest thing to do is replace them with a new piece. I was lucky since
the same gate my truck used was utilized from 54 through 87 so I was able
to buy a very straight one off a 74 Chevy for 25 bucks. You can't tell the
difference. On the older trucks you would have to get one from one of the
many vendors..I have seen them around 170 I believe.
One other thing that comes to mind is that you would need to weigh your
decison concerning your truck based upon what type of access you have to
special equipment such as welders and the like. In addtion it would really
be easier if you have a garage. If all those things fall into place I would
say GO FOR IT!!
Good luck!

Bill
Bill Bailey