Re: [oletrucks] Oletrucks : 350 Rear main seal

To: rogerg@maverick.facil.uconn.edu, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Oletrucks : 350 Rear main seal
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 22:17:46 EDT
In a message dated 9/23/99 12:31:28 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
rogerg@maverick.facil.uconn.edu writes:

<< Hello
 I did not get that many responses to my inquiry about how a one
 piece rear main seal is replaced on a late model 350 ci.
 engine...So I contacted my neighbor that owns a rural repair shop up
 the street that sponsors my race car to see if he knew how to do
 it... He said it comes right out by prying with a blade
 instrument like a screw driver without pulling the oil pan if the
 clutch and flywheel assy are removed first. I told him that I had it
 all apart in the garage and a rug below and would he inspect it and
 do it for me... He said sure and came right down... After looking at
 it for 10 seconds he asked for a screwdriver  and while my son and I
 watched he pried the seal out slick as butter... I know that I could
 have done it but I couldn't find a photo or detail to show how it was
 assembled so I didn't want to do it. Its easy!  He said be careful
 putting in the new one and to lubricate it and the crankshaft end
 flange and to rotate the seal over the flange then sent it home into
 the retainer. He said he would do it but I know now that I can...
 I've put one similar to that into a SAAB!...The new seal came with a
 gasket for the retainer but you will not need it if you don't take
 the oil pan and the retainer off.  My next problem was the pilot
 bushing... It had an egg shaped hole in it and I knew it needed to be
 replaced so I went to my garage friend and asked if he had a special
 tool to remove it and sure enough he had a Snap On Bushing
 remover...However when I tried to use it it seems the PO had cobbled
 up the front of the bushing and I couldn't get the tool to grab the
 front lip... I ended up drilling thru the edge of the bushing and
 then inserted the tool and withdrew the damn thing...Now we have to
 put it all back together but new parts are a wonderful thing to work
 with. Good news at last and thanks I don't have to remove the pan.
 Rogerg
 51-3100 AD stocker >>

  I'll be darn, I was looking at a one-piece block I have out back, and I'd
ahve never thought it could be done (I didn't remove the cover though, but
still....)

  Mike