Re: [oletrucks] straight axle

To: Claude Ramey <cramey@n-link.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] straight axle
From: charlie kish <ckish@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 11:27:59 -0700
Claude Ramey wrote:

> I have a '59 with the original front straight axle. Does anyone know if the
> axle with spindles will fit reversed? (switch right to left). It seems like
> the left side (steering side) is a lot more worn than the right
> side.(possibly from all the forces of 40 yrs of steering) Would it make any
> sense to reverse sides while installing king pins? I replaced the king pins
> with standard size, and the right side is perfect while the left side has
> wear in the axle. It might be a little too much for oversized king pins.
>
> Claude
> http://www.n-link.com/~rameyfam
> bandwidth from Sprint ISDN and n-link Internet services

Claude- I don't know if it will work or not but it seems that with all
the guys on the list who are going with an independent front suspention
that you could get some good used parts for a good price and possibly
free.  Might be a better way to go.  Wear is wear; front end is
steering; and steering keeps you on the road and away from the trees.
Charlie
59 half step