Re: [oletrucks] Radio Repair

To: "Ralph Linnell" <ChevySix@seatac.net>, <MarkNoakes@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Radio Repair
From: "jack halton" <safesix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 21:55:14 -0400
I visited Gary Tayman of Tayman Electrical today, in Sarasota FL. Gary does
AM/FM conversions on original AM radios of the 50's and 60's and showed me
several completed conversions, as well as one in progress. There are several
variations on these conversions: He will build a mono AM/FM unit, a stereo
unit with either 22 or 44 watts RMS per channel, and either can be had with
CD output and/or line out jacks installed in the rear of the unit.

Basically what he does is remove all of the existing circuitry from the old
radio and install a printed circuit board with all of the functionality
contained on a piece a little bigger than a credit card. It looks pretty
lost in that big old empty case! He retains the original knobs and
pushbuttons, restores them to good working order, and these retain their
original functionality. Each time the radio is turned on, it toggles between
AM and FM. So if it's on AM, you turn it off, wait 7 seconds and when you
turn it on, it's now on FM. Off/On again and it's back to AM. Pretty slick!

I listened to one of his units installed in his '64 T-bird and it sounded
great. The radio looked totally stock and everything worked beautifully. He
has a well-equipped shop and diagnostic facility and I have to say I was
impressed by the quality of his work. He had just finished a conversion on a
'41 Packard, which has an integral speaker below it, like the AD truck
radios use - this particular job was Mono, using an upgraded speaker in the
original location, but it could just have readily been a stereo unit with
external speakers.

The T-bird had one of the Panasonic CD changers installed in the trunk.
Inside the console was the CD changer remote control. When "Play" is pushed
the stereo automatically switches to CD mode and is controlled by the remote
unit. Very simple and effective.

We talked about AM and FM reception. He said that the boards he uses (he
sources them from another source in Palm Harbor FL - Antique Auto Radio,
Inc)  were now at their 4th upgrade level and that the reception is much
better than with the original units. Gary  admitted that they probably
aren't as good as some of the recent OEM radios - which are vastly better
than they used to be - but are a huge improvement over the stock tuner which
came in the car. He demonstrated a unit on his bench, attached to a standard
car antenna mast sitting on the floor. I thought the reception was fine,
pulling in Tampa stations (60 miles distant) with no problem.

Tayman's web site has full details, spec's and prices on all his conversions
and can be found at http://www.gate.net/~gtayman/index.html. I can say from
what I saw today, that his conversions are top quality,  he is a
conscientious craftsman and will stand behind what he sells. If/when I find
a core unit for my AD GMC, It's going right to Gary Tayman for a full stereo
conversion.

Jack / Winter Park FL