Re: [oletrucks] Radio Repair

To: MarkNoakes@aol.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Radio Repair
From: Grant Galbraith <trks@javanet.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 20:06:11 -0400
I have talked before about the type of conversion that uses a FM circuit board
inside the AM radio. It uses the stock AM mono amp and speaker and is visually a
undetectable conversion. I was a amateur radio operator from the age of vacuum
tubes and was initially thrilled with this radio. I really tried to make a go
with it and  though it works OK for strong signals after some silent long trips
with a radio that can't pull in weak signals I finally bought a remote
controlled
receiver/CD player for my '50. I mounted it flush with the back of the glove box
and supported the back with a bracket attached to the firewall pad. Initially I
tried 6x9's in boxes sitting on the gas tank and must say I never heard anything
sound so bad. I moved the speakers out of the boxes and laid them in the cab
corners pointing up and forward and they sound pretty good there. Just not
enough
room for the boxes. The radio takes no room in the glove box and is undetectable
with the glove box closed or even open if you put something in front of it. I
was
suprrised to find the the CD player doesn't skip even with my stock suspension.
    Anyone that wants to work out a trade for a non'working AD radio plus cash
for mine that is restored, converted to FM and 12 volt ping me off list. I have
the 6 volt tubes and transformer to change it back to 6 volts if someone was so
inclined. I like the sound of the modern radio but would like a stock radio in
the dash for looks.

Grant 50 3100