Re: [oletrucks] 58/59 Fleetside backup lamps

To: lstphil1@rochester.rr.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 58/59 Fleetside backup lamps
From: "K & B" <apache58truck@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 09:45:10 EDT
Hey Eric-

It's been so long that we've been getting help from others on this list...
without being able to return the favors... that we've started feeling a bit
guilty.  We've been reading every post... just hoping we'd be able to
contribute, but we're just rookies at this hobby and our experience is
lacking.  We just about gave up any hope of being able to "really assist"
anyone (at least anytime in the near future). Then your backup light
question gave us some hope!

We don't know if the backups on the fleetside are original equipment, but we
were told by a mechanic friend that they are indeed backup lights.  So...
Brian and I now have a chance to help!!!  I'm very glad if we can help you
in some small way, but Brian is THRILLED!!!!!

He's thinking about taking the e-mail to his Cub Scout meeting because his
den is working on a merit badge which involves finding a creative way to
help others solve a problem!  Here's what he came up with to try to help
you:

1- He measured the distance from the center of the taillight lens to the
center of the backup light lens.  It measured exactly 11 and 7/8 inches. He
thought it was 12 inches, but we triple measured to be sure! :-)

2- He took a photo of the area where the rear lights are mounted.  This
should show you exactly what we've got so you can compare it to your parts
and the information you've received from other folks on the list.  We've
sent that just to you... directly to your e-mail address so we don't fill up
mail storage for other listers.

Let us know if it helps solve your problem.
BTW... it's a lot of fun to be on the giving side for a change!

Thanks for the BIG... (HUGE) smile
you helped to put on my son's face-

Ken  (& Brian too)

=========================
>Ken,
>I would be really greatful for a measured location of the backup >lights so
>I can mount mine in the proper location.
>Are they just below the tail lights? That seems to fit the contour of >the
>mounting gasket.
>Thanks
>Eric St.Phillips
>1959 GMC 100
>Fairport, NY

K&B
Father & Son 1959 Apache Fleetside Truck Project in NJ
apache58truck@hotmail.com
Everyone asks:
Why the 58 in the e-mail address if the truck is a 59?
Our only reply:
When we bought it they told us it was a 58. When we
discovered it was really a 59... it was too late to
change the address! Plus, someday we might buy a 58 too! :-)
-