Re: [oletrucks] Howdyaget an "Easy Out" Out?

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Howdyaget an "Easy Out" Out?
From: CLLLSLS@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 21:54:10 EST
Definatley don't use a carbide drill bit. It is the only thing that will
drill through it, but if you try to use a carbide drill in a hand drill you
will probably snap it off. The best thing to do would be to EDM it out, but I
understand that you don't want to do that. You might try what others have
suggested and try to break it apart and wiggle out the pieces, but even if
just a little bit of the easy-out is in the hole, you can't drill in the
hole. The suggestion for welding a washer on, then a nut to turn the whole
mess may work, but don't turn it when it is still hot from welding. Hot metal
expands, let the welding heat dissipate, then try turning it. I have a very
old book on fixing electric motors and just about anything else, and inside
it gives a formula you can put together with various chemicals that will
allow you to soften HSS so you can drill it with a carbon steel drill bit.
You mound up wax around the HSS and let the chemical solution soak on it over
night. Then you can drill right through. And that's with carbon steel! I've
never tried it, but I could look up the recipe if you'd like. What you might
also try, and what would probably work, would be to get a carbon-arc
electrode if you have a stick welder. Use it to "blow" the whole mess out of
the hole. If you have an oxy-acetylene setup, you might try getting the
broken-off mess as hot as you can get it without melting or distorting the
block, then packing the whole area in lime or stove ashes to slow the cooling
as much as possible. This may anneal the easy-out enough to drill it. Be very
careful though! If cast iron cools to quickly it WILL crack. Hope this helps.

Dustin
50 & 53 GMC 1/2 tons