Re: [oletrucks] Transmission and Clutch

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Transmission and Clutch
From: "ROGER GLEASON" <rogerg@maverick.facil.uconn.edu>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 10:14:59 -500
I agree with the Buy New attitude! Clutch pressure plates and throw
out bearings now come in a kit... I got mine from the local parts
store and its a borg warner diaphram type and it has a NASCAR
approved label on it... We used it in our race car...No problems. The
only thing I would recommend is that you have the flywheel resurfaced
at a place that has centerless grinding done not turned. When turning
a flywheel the hot spots have hardened the steel and stress the
turning machine therefore creating high spots so that when you
install the new clutch and pressure plate you end up with clutch
chatter... All used flywheels have hot spots,stress cracks and other
imperfections if the clutch has worn out and started slipping. If you
are replacing a clutch disc (like we do in racing on a yearly basis)
before it wears out the need to resurface the flywheel could be done
less frequently. The pilot bushing only needs to be inspected for
wear...These are sometimes a real bear to remove and if it is not all
galled up or scored will not need to be replaced unless you're racing
it. Good luck!
Happy Holidays Everyone!

Rogerg
51-3100 AD Stocker