Re: [oletrucks] plywood for 57 panel

To: normd@worldpath.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] plywood for 57 panel
From: miq@teleport.com
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 02:26:45 -0800 (PST)
Norm you will get a much stronger piece of wood if you piece together
sections of thinner plywood to make up what you need.  If I recall, the
size needed is 120" x 57", so what I would do is get 8 sheets of 1/4"
marine plywood.

First, cut them all to 57" long.

Then rip two in half length wise

Now you should have 6 sheets of 1/4" plywood that are 48" x 57" and 4
sheets that are 24" x 57".

Stack them, and use a ployurethane glue to relaminate them.  It's water
proof, and very strong.

Here's a rough ascii pattern that you would need to use:

 Layer 1:   --24--- ------48------ -----48------
 Layer 2:   ------48------ -----48------ --24---
 Layer 3:   --24--- ------48------ -----48------

In this way you have no seems next to eachother, it will be one sheet of
wood, and it will be extremely strong.

I did this with the floor of a tilting flat bed trailer I have.  Before
gluing up the layers I painted each sheet of 1/4" with a sealer (Jasco)
then when dry glued it.

It's been sitting in the weather for the past 5 years and the wood is still
in great shape.

--
__
Miq Millman   miq@teleport.com