Re: [oletrucks] '49 Passenger Door Handle question

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] '49 Passenger Door Handle question
From: Andrew Roberts <arobs@becker.u.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 01:36:16 -0800 (PST)
If the latch mechanisim is working properly, closing the door will unlock
it, unless it was locked with the key.  There is a lever just outboard of
the door latch on the door that is pushed up by the catch plate on the
jamb when the door is closed.  Moving this lever up will push the locking
lever (the one the prevents the outside door handle from turning) out of
position.

What you describe may be possible if this vertically moving latch (as
opposed to the rotating latch) is worn, broken or missing.  A misallgned
or very badly worn catch (on the jamb) might also be the cause.

By design, one cannot get locked out of these trucks.  Of course, we don't
always operate them within design parameters.  My original door latches
have long since outlived their intended livespan and it sounds as if yours
may have also.

Andrew Roberts
1949 3600