Re: [oletrucks] gear grinding continued

To: "john r dorsey" <jrdorsey@strato.net>, <bkn6@airmail.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] gear grinding continued
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 12:28:09 -0800
Hi Brad,

>How in the world does the torque tube separate from the tranny? All
> of the bolts are off, the tranny mount is off, and the collar is
> "unscrewed", but its still tight as a drum.

I had this exact problem a couple of years ago.  The slip end gets rusted to
the shaft or something.  I solved it after much puzzling by getting a
long-handled pipe wrench (about 4' long) to give me enough torque to twist
the slip end free.  Once it begins to move, you'll have no trouble.

My one regret is that the wrench left teeth marks in the slip end.  Maybe a
smooth jawed wrench would have worked, but I think the teeth were needed to
get a grip.  Try with smooth jaws or a rag wrapping before you put teeth on
the metal.

> I have taken the ball and fork out, and think that I am ready to drop
> the tranny (I wish that I had the guide pins that the shop manual
> speaks of),

Make guide pins from long bolts with the heads cut off and the shaft ends
beveled on your grinder.  Be sure to chase the holes first and use lots of
lube so you can loosen them with your fingers.

Regards,

Grant S.  gls@4link.net