Re: [oletrucks] gear grinding continued

To: "David" <dstiles@rmi.net>, "john r dorsey" <jrdorsey@strato.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] gear grinding continued
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 10:33:04 -0800
Hi David,

I guess it's possible, but I doubt it.  Since the drive shaft doesn't
contact the torque tube or the slip end, I can't see how putting it into
gear will do anything.  I'll be the first to admit, however, that reason is
an indifferent guide to auto mechanics.

Maybe if it spun for a while, the heat would do something.  A better way to
use heat would be heating the slip end (but not the torque tube) with a
torch so the end would expand away from the tube and break the rust bond.
If the hear warps the end, though, it'll have leaks.

Tapping it with a hammer might also loosen it, but if it goes out of round,
it'll leak.

Regards,

Grant S. gls@4link.net