RE: [oletrucks] Blown engine

To: MPHUDAK@aol.com
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Blown engine
From: safesix@earthlink.net
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 13:03:43 -0800
Sadly, I can relate...A week ago I left work, accelerated onto
the I-4 on ramp, just shifted into 3rd gear, and "BAM! CRUNCH!"
immediate loss of power. What a sick feeling in the pit of my
stomach, I knew this was not going to be pretty. Sure enough
no compression on #5 cylinder - off with the head and #5 piston
is totally destroyed. All that's left is the skirt from the bottom
ring land down, rod still attached, (thank God). And major shrapnel
in all other cylinders, at least one hammered valve...no cylinder
wall damage that I can see, and other pistons look OK, but obviously
this means a major rebuild. As luck would have it I had just
the week before, bought a "running when removed" 261 at a swap
meet so it may be pressed into service while the 302 is rebuilt
(GMC rebuilds are not for the lean of wallet). I'm still trying
to sort out the cause of this failure - no signs of detonation
or overheating, engine has about 45,000 miles of hard use (but
not abuse), Mobil-1 since assembly in early '94 - there is hardly
any ridge in the cylinders, and pistons are Patrick's (Egge)
cast Venolia repro's at about 9.5:1 compression. Careful examination
of remaining pistons is next. Also oil pan debris may contain
some clues...anyway, misery loves company, sorry about your engine,
but, it happens in the best of families.

Jack / winter Park FL

-----