RE: [oletrucks] Blue Flame Chevy Engine

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>, "Mark Kulis" <mk21496@erols.com>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Blue Flame Chevy Engine
From: "Gwyn Reedy" <mgr@mgrcorp.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 19:58:08 -0500
Hi Mark,

There are a few others, but I haven't kept track of names.

I'm not a 'stock as possible' kind of guy. I do love to see the old original
versions, but wouldn't really want to have mine that way - all my driving is
at faster speeds than the old trucks will handle.

I start lots more projects than I finish, but here are my plans.

The 46 will get a mild 350 and a 700R4 transmission. With the 6.1 rear end
and large tires and the overdrive transmission it should do about 3000 RPM
at 60 MPH. I plan to leave the cab pretty much original and add a modified
pickup bed so that I have a '46 dually pickup. I see that the frame is not
much more beefy than modern half or 3/4 ton trucks. Not much heavier either.
I'll probably leave the original suspension just for economy sake, although
will find some way to add power steering. The drum brakes are very large,
should do a good enough job if rebuilt. One mod I will try is to put modern
19.5 inch rims with tubeless tires in place of the old 20 inch rims. Not
sure if it will work or not. I have the truck, engine, transmission and
unmodified bed already on hand. Now just a LOT of work.

The 38 ton and a half will go as follows. I have an 86 3/4 ton chassis and a
6.2 diesel engine and a one ton 3.73 rear end. Still looking for a
transmission solution - would like to find a 5 or 6 speed manual like is in
the new diesel trucks. Hope to make a one ton dually flatbed diesel with 38
cab on it. That will be more work than the 46 project. If it ever gets done
it will be my main trailer puller.

Other projects are the 70 and 71 Chevy C-50s. I plan to combine both trucks
into one good one. I have all the pieces, just need time and money. Will end
up with a 70 cab (cherry) with power steering, 427 engine, 5 speed, air
conditioning, sleeper cab, and 22 foot flatbed with power ramps.

Also have two 66 Chevy pickups to combine into one good one. Not all the
parts needed have been obtained yet, but almost.

Have a 56 Chevy half ton body and a 92 4wd half ton chassis to combine. Body
needs lots of rust repair, also there will be a lot of work mating the body
to the frame. The engine is fuel injected, so have to keep all the wiring
intact.

The El Camino has a peppy 396 in it. It was wrecked a couple of years ago
and I have finally collected all the parts needed to rebuild it. Two years
of rusting has done its harm too, so it will be a major restoration job. It
is an original SS396.

My driver right now is the 72 Cheyenne long bed. I pull a car hauler or a 28
foot gooseneck with it. It has a rebuilt 402 (.030 over) with only 10k miles
on it. Turbo 400 rebuilt and beefed up at the same time. Also just put new
front brakes and wheel bearings in. I have a huge fan cooled transmission
cooler, external transmission filter, huge fan cooled engine oil cooler, and
just finished building a differential cooler today. It uses an electric fuel
pump to push rear end lube through a 7 x 13 cooler with two small fans on
it. Will mount to the rear end cover. For Christmas I'm getting air horns,
cruise control, new radio/tape deck and a 40 gallon Suburban gas tank to
mount behind the rear end where it goes on a burb. That will give me 60
gallons and at 6 mpg (what I get towing the gooseneck) I'll still have a 300
mile range between fill ups. Not trying to ruin the truck, but I do work it
hard. It has 3.08 rear end and the torque from that 402 is really handy
going up mountains at 20,000 bounds GVW or more. The trailer has three axles
for better braking. Does OK. Weakest link is the half ton rear end. I try to
keep the trailer loaded rearward so there isn't too much weight on the
truck, but the amount of horsepower continually going through the rear end
is a concern. Thus the cooler. I have temp. gauges on the rear end, trans.
pan and input to the cooler, and the engine pan.

Well Mark, that's most of the story. I'm having a ball working on all these
projects - if only the wife would win the lottery so I could finance some of
the body work and painting.....

Gwyn