Re: [oletrucks] GMC over-load springs? (short)

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] GMC over-load springs? (short)
From: CLLLSLS@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 22:59:10 EST
Casey,

Have the same type of overloads on my '50 GMC 1/2 ton shorty. A friend that
has always worked on AD Chevies saw them and said he'd never seen anything
like them before, so maybe the 1/2 ton overload springs were only available
on Jimmies? On a side note, for overloads on my '53 GMC 1/2 ton longbed, a PO
took another set of leaf springs with the eyes cut off from another truck and
welded them to the top of the axle housing inline with the frame rails. I can
only imagine how many conflicts in suspension geometry this caused with the
torque-tube and all when this truck was overloaded! The torque-tube actually
has an 18-inch sleeve welded around it in about the middle. Wonder what
that's hiding. Good luck to you and your uncle!

Dustin
50 & 53 GMC 1/2 tons