Re: [oletrucks] Starters

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Starters
From: "john r dorsey" <jrdorsey@strato.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 1980 12:37:01 -0500
Kevin,

I my experience a rebuilt engine that won't start is usually out of time.

I would take and crank the engine around to TDC (flywheel ball at pointer),
pull the distributor cap and adjust the distributor so that the points are
just opening. Be sure that you are on the left side of the lobe as the right
side would be just closeing. This won't be the correct timing for driving
but it should start and run.

Your carburator worries me though. A 6v engine is really hard to clear a
flood from because it cranks so slow. If your carburator is leaking gasoline
outside it will be leaking it inside also. It dosen't take but a few seconds
of running a VERY rich mixture to carbon foul a set of plugs.

When I first cranked my 235 after a carb rebuild I had a flooding problem.
It ran for about 30 seconds, died and would not restart. I switched the carb
and it still wouldn't start. I had to clean the plugs to get it to start be
cause they were so carbon fouled.

Lastly you could disconnect the wires from the starter, hook them together
and run the starter with 12 volts from jumper cables and not risk frying any
gauges or lights.

John
'49 Chevy 3800 Panel
'52 GMC 640 Firetruck