Re: [oletrucks] Modern Remote Oil Filter Kits for 235ci's

To: "oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Modern Remote Oil Filter Kits for 235ci's
From: "john r dorsey" <jrdorsey@strato.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 1980 12:35:50 -0500
The cannister filters on the 56+ v-8s are the full flow type that mount on
the bottom of the engine. Only the '55 v-8 had a bypass filter and it was
mounted on top of the intake.

Actually we are mixing apples and oranges.
The whole purpose behind the full flow and bypass filters is different.

The full flow filter is designed to have NO oil pressure drop across it( 50
lbs in, 49 lbs out), as all the engine oil has to pass through. They have a
very course filter medium and catch larger particles. Their advantage is
that NO large particles get into the oil system.

The bypass filter is designed to have a large pressure drop across the
filter (50 lbs in, 2 lbs out) so that it doesn't reduce the engine oil
pressure. They have a very fine filter medium to trap almost microscopic
particles. The advantage is that the oil that comes out is CLEAN.

These two filters do two very different things. If I had to choose which one
to have, I would go with the full flow because large particles will screw up
an engine faster, but I don't have that choice on a 235.

The optimal arrangement would be to have both. Large deisel trucks use both
full flow and bypass filters, and those engines cost a lot more than ours!

Don't replace the cannister bypass with a spin on bypass, thats the worst of
both worlds.

I think you could mount the cannister to the fenderwell or firewall using
steel tubing with the original rubber hoses at the filter to take up the
vibration. I plumbed mine on the manifold in with 1/8" steel line with no
rubber hoses.

John
'49 Chevy 3800 Panel
'52 GMC 640 Firetruck