Re: [oletrucks] shop buildings

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] shop buildings
From: MarkNoakes@aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 10:37:05 EST
Wayne,

My brother Brian had what is called a "pole barn" put up by a professional
crew for his shop in TN.  It is 32 ft by 50 ft with a concrete slab,
insulation on the underside of the metal roof, and cost about $15K total.
This seems to be one of the cheapest styles.  He had it built about 5 years
ago.  I drool over it every time I go visit, but he says it's too small.
(This is where my suburban is at the moment.)

At my parents house in MS where my brothers had their original resto shop,
they built a 24 ft by 32 ft traditional red barn style shop themselves
(standard stick built) with upstairs storage,  later built a 20 ft by 20 ft
extension, and then finally built an outside shed for the compressors.
Though done 10-15 years earlier and with all "free" labor, I think it cost
about $10-$15K as well, but it is finished out nicer than I would expect for
a shop and with very elaborate and thorough electrical service.

More recently my dad got tired of not having enough space in the regular shop
since it was crammed full of parts so he had a 32 ft by 60 ft professionally
built next to the one that they had done themselves years before. . .I gather
it must've been expensive as he's never told me how much it cost.  It's more
for vehicle storage but also does have the wood shop.

Make sure you check what the local codes require; requirements vary alot, but
you have to keep them happy.  I can't even have a separate building on the
property where I am or nonrunning vehicles outside, so I'm just fortunate
have a three car garage where I can use one bay for a very small shop.

I have a few pictures of the various styles we've built over the years if
you're interested.

Mark Noakes
58/56 Suburban eternally  in progress
Knoxville, TN