Re: [oletrucks] Chopping the top, while waiting for Spring

To: "Ole Trucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Chopping the top, while waiting for Spring
From: "WR Teto" <monadnoc@crystal-mtn.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 21:43:20 -0500
Thanks Joe for the tips on the A-pillars.  I was looking things over this
afternoon, and still am
not sure if I can totally save the entire height of the corner windows and get
the amount of chop I
want.  It looks like I could just cut above the window line but that would only
get me maybe 2
inches maximum, maybe a bit less.  I'm not sure it's worth it for the small
amount of chop.  I'm
going to mull this over and look into a way to have the corner windows ground
so that I can chop 4"
and still keep them.  I got to talk with some of the glass replacement guys in
the area and see what
their opinions are.  I'd like to preserve the general scale of things and not
have it look like the
windows are too oversize for the design of the cab.

On another note, I did get my hole in the dash repaired today.  For those that
saw that ugly gash on
my web site, it is no more!  This was my first attempt at forming a panel and
welding it in.  I used
a body hammer to form a piece of 18 gauge over a pipe.  I had made a cardboard
template of the
curvature of the dash, and was able to bang the piece of sheet metal to the
correct radius.  It is
now welded in and ground and looks pretty good if I say so myself.  Some hammer
and dolly work
finished up the worst of the irregularities.  Hey, it's not as good as Roy
Brizio but I'm satisfied
with small accomplishments!  It'll just need a bit of Mar-glass to blend it in
with the rest of the
dash surface.

After a whole day in the garage, the wife even surprised me with chocolate chip
cookies.  Trucks and
food...it doesn't get any better than this!

Wally