Re: [oletrucks] Smokin 235

To: Grant Galbraith <trks@javanet.com>, oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Smokin 235
From: Steve <m_toolman@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 09:57:24 -0800 (PST)
Grant

Back in about 1980 (Gee has it been that long?) I was
finishing up the engine rebuild on my 63 Vette.  I
contacted Mobil and talked to some of their technical
people.  Their recommendation was to use "regular" oil
until the engine was broken in.  They said they
experienced excessive oil consumption when trying to
break in an engine with Mobil 1.  They also said there
biggest complaint from customers was oil leakage
(because oil is so thin).

I would switch to 10w-30 or 10w-40 and see what
happens.

Good luck.

--- Grant Galbraith <trks@javanet.com> wrote:
> I have about 13 K on my 235 that was rebuilt with
> all new parts, bored
> with new pistons, cast rings and bearings as well as
> cam, cam gears,
> etc... I've noticed since I took it out of storage
> after a highway run
> it will smoke from the breather tube and vents in
> the valve cover so
> much so that smoke is billowing out from under the
> truck. I've always
> used 5-30 Mobil 1 synthetic and changed it again,
> the 5th oil change
> after noticing the smoke, still smoking. I know bad
> rings can cause
> blow-by but wouldn't expect it on such a recent
> rebuild. Any Ideas?
>
> Thanks, Grant
>
> oletrucks is devoted to Chevy and GM trucks built
> between 1941 and 1959

Do You Yahoo!?