[oletrucks] DA Sanders & Update

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] DA Sanders & Update
From: "Deve Krehbiel" <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 17:58:30 -0600
Welp, got all the sheet metal (fenders, hood, bed, CAB, and all the misc
parts too big for my blast cabinet) back from Kansas Dry Strip today. I
wasnt very impressed, but in their defense, I was probably expecting too
much. I expected ALL rust, paint, and debris to be TOTALLY removed. What I
got was all paint removed but no rust removed at all. This was VERY
disappointing to me since about 60% of the project was rust. Now, I am
forced to get out the wire brushes, sandpaper, etc and start over on each
individual part. They say they use plastic beads to prevent warping and the
promise that the owner would sue them for damages when the cab was all
warped due to aggressive blasting. Plastic does not remove rust. I guess I
am not on the same channel as the rest of the world. I am finding that if I
want the job done to my satisfaction, I have to do it ALL myself regardless
of my experience level. They say the body shops are impressed with their
work (and they ARE since I asked them where they go) so it must be just me.
I expect and WILL HAVE total rust removal and absolutely not one microscopic
particle of rust anywhere. Totally bare metal with NO exceptions WILL be the
requirement before I start priming. I have NO IDEA why anyone would expect
less, but apparently the rest of the world isnt nearly as anal as me.

So... I need a DA Sander. What is a good kind to get? Air or Electric? What
grits do I use for rust removal and then for finishing?

Thanks everyone.. my project just got extended another 2-3 months now that I
am sanding everything by hand. At least everything is back in my possession
where it will get treated right and DONE right.

Deve
50 3100
49 3600
www.speedprint.com/Deves50/index.html