Re: [oletrucks] DA Sanders & Update

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] DA Sanders & Update
From: "Allen Jones" <jonesal@u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 19:54:34 -0800
I agree.....get rid of all the rust with sandblasting if you're going that
far.  I had about 50% surface rust on my '50 before I took it to a local
company for mechanical stripping.  Each piece of metal was submitted
separately.  They first went over the painted areas with plastic media and
touched up the rusted areas with garnet.  They were very attentive to
keeping things straight (attentive regulation of pressure and rate) and
everything came back stripped real nice with no warpage at all.  I think it
helped that they used fresh garnet abrasive for the touchy jobs so they
could "get in and get out" so to speak.  I've had trouble with other
mechanical stripping in the past (on my first restoration, they warped the
dickens out of the hood requiring the purchase of a new one....), but really
checked these guys out.  I'm not saying "don't do it yourself" at all.  What
I'm saying is touch up the rusted areas with sandblasting of some sort if
possible.  I think you'll be pleased.

Good luck!
Allen.