[oletrucks] minimum engine running requirements

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] minimum engine running requirements
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 09:22:44 -0700
Hi, all...

I worked at a junkyard for a couple years about 20 years ago.  We'd run
engines and do compression checks on them in the shop, after pulling
them from the wrecked cars and trucks.

We had a bunch of engine dollys that had 4 casters, and 4 adjustable
vertical bars that the oil pan rails would sit on.  Gas came from a
gallon can with a hose to the engine's fuel pump.  Had a big old fork
lift battery on a hand cart, a clip lead to go to the coil, and that was
about it for starting the engines...no cooling...jump the starter with a
screwdriver if it was a GM or M*p*r, or just hold the positive cable on
the battery if it was a Ford.  The engines were loud with no exhaust
manifolds, and quieter with manifolds on, but no mufflers.  We would run
them till the oil on the heads started to smoke a bit, that meant the
engine was up over 200 degrees...not hot enough to hurt anything, but
hot enough that a compression test would be accurate.  One inviolate
rule was to LEAVE THE AIR CLEANER ON AT ALL TIMES, so if there was a
backfire thru the carb, it wouldn't start a fire.  This also saved my
eyebrows from being melted off a few times!  We could pull the air
cleaner off (engine NOT running) to pour some gas thru the carb to prime
it, but had to make sure the cleaner was bolted in place before trying
to start the engines.

Nowadays, engines don't have carburetors or fuel pumps (fuel injection
instead) so this method doesn't work in a modern salvage yard...but, it
sure was fun back then!

For a newly rebuilt engine, I'd add an oil pressure gage, and a muffler
if possible, as well as the cooling system.  Be sure to fill the carb
bowl with fuel so it starts right away.  You want to be able to hear any
strange noises, and you sure don't want to overheat it, or run without
oil pressure!  You don't need a charging system, as long as you charge
the battery before running the engine.

Good luck, let us know how it sounds!
Jim