Re: [oletrucks] Minimum Engine Running Requirements

To: dcvjrv@flashcom.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Minimum Engine Running Requirements
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 10:38:48 EST
In a message dated 3/21/00 5:14:31 AM Pacific Standard Time,
dcvjrv@flashcom.net writes:

> I finally got the engine and transmission back in the chassis yesterday and
>  now I would like to fire it up.  It has not been started since a complete
>  rebuild.  What is the minimum requirements as far as wiring, etc. that
>  needs to be hooked up to run.  I will have the radiator installed, so that
>  is not an issue.
>
>  An explanation of what is required wiring wise would be greatly
>  appreciated.  Do I need to hook up the generator and voltage regulator for
>  this?
>
>  Thanks in advance for your responses.
>
>  Jim V.
>  58 GMC Suburban Carrier Pickup (Cameo style) - V8 Automatic

  JIm,

  As Bob pointed out, definitely pre-lube the motor....

  All you really need is the points to the coil wire, and 12volts through the
ballast resistor (I assume the GMC used a ballast resistor??) to the other
side of the coil.

  You'll need the battery hooked up, obviously, to the starter..do you have a
pedal start or is the solenoid switched through the key?

  Mike

  You don't "need" to have the generator hooked up, but if the b attery runs
low, she'll start to sputter and die.