Re: [oletrucks] License Plates

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] License Plates
From: Lewis Osborn <losborn@teleport.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 17:46:18 -0800
In Washington State only one plate is needed on a classic.  I think it's the
same in Oregon, but I'm not sure.

I really think most of us would be surprised at just how long we could drive
most any vehicle without _any_ plate(s).  I commonly see vehicles with plates
expired for 1-2 months, and I've seen plates that were expired for over a year
- yes, on a vehicle driving on a public road.  I've seen lots of vehicles with
dealer advertising cards where the plate goes, and no temporary sticker
visible.

When I got my ham call plates on my motorcycle, DMV told me that there was no
provision for mounting a temporary sticker on a motorcycle, so I should just
keep it with me so I could show it if someone asked; no one ever did in the
6-8 weeks it took to get my plate.

I recently rode a motorcycle from Charlotte, NC to Baton Rouge, LA.  I was
delivering it for someone else, and it had never been registered, so my
official paperwork consisted of a signed MSO and a bill of sale, neither of
which had my name on them, and a notarized statement from the seller stating
that I was delivering it for him.  Since it had never been registered, it had
no plates.  In a 1000 miles, including one driver's license/insurance
roadblock in Georgia (which they waved me through without checking - it
woulda' been interesting - the new owner had insurance on the bike, but I had
no official card stating that fact) no one said anything about the absence of
a plate.

Kind of scary, in a way.  If someone steals my/your bike/car, and takes the
plate off, how long will they be able to ride/drive it before someone even
NOTICES?

--
Lewis - K7LVO - Medford - Valley of the Rogue - OR
The Forty - 1940 Chevy Pickup - One Owner