[oletrucks] 1950 216 Help Urgently Needed

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] 1950 216 Help Urgently Needed
From: "Deve Krehbiel" <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 13:17:31 -0600
I am ready to take the engine block down to get it dipped. I really shouldnt
have bothered taking it apart. With 29,000 original miles, it was really
clean. But, being who I am, it was necessary. So, here I am, engine block
stripped down. Now, I need to know exactly what the heck they are talking
about when they are talking about "Babbet Bearings". Are these the piston
housing to crank insert bearings? Or are they the crank to engine block
insert bearings? Whats the big deal with popping out the old ones and just
inserting new ones in their place? Are they hard to find or something?

Someone told me the block has "babbet" in it and it is rather thin so to be
careful. All I see is an insert bearing that I can pop out with a
screwdriver (havent tried that yet). The BIG question is..... I want to take
it down (tomorrow) to have it dipped in acid to clean the block... will that
destroy the "babbet"? Of course I have no idea what I am talking about, but
that has never stopped me from learning something new, so yes, I'm an idiot,
and no, I'm not turning the project over to anyone else. I just want to get
this thing cleaned really good and get the engine all back together as soon
as possible... before I knock around my table with all the pistons, rods,
lifters, and all in the proper order.

Thanks and please reply answering ALL the questions because I get confused
easily! (do I leave the oil pump housing on the block? How the heck does
THAT come off?)

Deve
50 3100 w/ 216 original engine (checked the casting number)