Re: [oletrucks] 55 Chevy How fast?

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 55 Chevy How fast?
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 23:14:36 -0700
Oh, what fun!

Back when my first 59 pickup was still new to me, we had rebuilt the
235, and I was a new teenage driver also...so I of course had to test
how fast the truck would go.  Flat out on a level freeway (speed limit
was 55 in the late 70s) it would do 75 mph.  I don't know what the rpm
was, the truck had 15" tires and 3.90 gears.

For more conservative driving, I'd stick to a maximum of about 60 mph
with stock gears, and an unknown condition 235 engine.  Even slower
would be better, if you have the patience! But, folks usually run about
80 on the freeways in AZ, and you don't want to get run over.

Be sure to check the brake fluid a few times before you get too far on
your drive, to see if you have any leaks...having the brakes go away
would not be fun.

If you have any problems in AZ, and are on the southern route (I-10),
consider giving me a ring, I'm in Sierra Vista, south of Benson, on the
southeastern corner of Arizona.

Jim