Re: [oletrucks] Radiator

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Radiator
From: "Robert Welch" <rwelch@ionet.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 10:24:21 -0500
I agree re the comments that the impact of a high stall converter impacts
trans fluid temps much more so than the engine temp, however, it has always
been my understanding that the primary use of the in-radiator trans cooler
is to bring the trans fluid up to operating temp.  Its use as a primary
cooling device for the trans fluid is limited - a couple of feet of 1/4" or
3/8" tubing does not make much of a heat transfer/cooling impact, thus the
recommendation by most any hi-po vendor or trans shop to run the external
trans cooler.  I do not run a radiator trans cooler, only the external one.
Of course, if you live in a very cold climate this might present a little
problem because the trans fluid will take longer to warm to operating
emp.  -Bob