Re: [oletrucks] master cylinders

To: "Brian m" <pkupman57@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] master cylinders
From: "joe" <chevy1@jps.net>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 16:57:14 -0700
As long as you bolt the unit up to the firewall and extend the swing pedal
support bracket to mount to the dash to distribute the brake pedal pressure
you really don't need an additional plate on the firewall.

I solved my leaning master cylinder problem by making up a spacer bushing to
place between the booster and firewall to level the master cylinder.  I
would recommend against mixing the firebird and Camaro components.

The proportioning valves are setup for the weight characteristics of the
cars and sometimes its better to just remove it and start from scratch.  By
that I mean you check to see if the residual pressure valves are located in
the master cylinder outlet ports by pushing something inside the small
outlet port to feel the spring loaded valve.  If they are their, you'll just
need to purchase and install a 10 lb aftermarket residual valve on the line
going toward the front brakes (because it only has a 2 lb valve for the disc
brake from the factory).  You'll then have the correct pressure at all the
wheel cylinders.

If after driving the truck you have unequal braking (back brakes locking up
before the front) you can purchase an adjustable proportioning valve and
install it in the rear line.

All you have to do for the mechanical brake light switch is check to see
which two wires pass current when the switch is depressed and wire it into
the electrical system as before.

I installed a firewall mounted power brake unit in my 1950 Chevy with the
adjustable proportioning valve and residual valves two years ago and haven't
had a single problem.

Joe Garcia
1950 Chevrolet 3100
Yuba City, Ca