[oletrucks] Steering box and colunm

To: "Oletrucks List" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Steering box and colunm
From: "Antonio R. Tijerino" <antonio@innercite.com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 22:40:13 -0700
I have been putting my truck back together little by litle as money, the
wife, kids, jobs and tim permits. I am in the process of re-installing the
steering colunm, I notice that there are no licks, there does not seen to be
any end play and I can rotate the pitman arm easily and can do the same from
the lug that attaches to the steeting wheel.
My questiona are:
1. There is a little slot of about 1" x 1/4" on the column about 2 inches
from the box assemby, originaly it was covered by a duck-duck-duct tape,
What is this slot for?
2. The horn wire is stripped and I would like to replace it, but according
to the truck shop manual it is part of the upper bearing by the stearing
wheel. How do you remove the bearing if you don't have the tool that the
shop manual recommends to use.
3. Seems to me that the box does not require rebuild, how can I really tell?
I just cleaned the steering box so good that it looks almost new. Should I
just painted and installed without rebuilding it.

Thanks,

Antonio,
'53 3100
Cameron Park, CA