Re: [oletrucks] Welding Help Needed!

To: "Deve Krehbiel" <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Welding Help Needed!
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 17:36:44 -0700
Hi Deve,

I think that in patch panel repairs, you should use the lowest power seting
and just slowly build up a series of spot welds in rotation, allowing each
series to cool fully before doing the next series.  I've seen several how-to
articles doing it this way, and tried it on some 18 ga. metal cabinets I
made.  It seems to make sense.  You can leave gaps between the welds and
fill the groove space with solder (maybe better than bondo since the doors
will get slammed over and over.  Grind smooth with flap discs and surface
with bondo and sandable primer.

Alternatively, I've heard that using silica bronze wire works nicely at
lower heat.  Haven't tried it.

Before you start cutting, try to straighten with a hammer and dolly.  Lots
of medium taps are better than a few big ones.  You may be surprised at how
straight it will come.

I've always heard 80/20 CO2 /Argon is best for mild steel, but then your
welder's a pro and I'm certainly not.

Regards,

Grant S.
54 3100 (mostly all there)