Re: [oletrucks] 3100 AD weight - spring rate

To: "Oletrucks list" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 3100 AD weight - spring rate
From: Bob Fischer <bfischer@utm.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 13:50:25 -0700
Hi Mark,

>Can any of you guys tell me the weight of a 3100 AD.  I looked in the manual
>and couldn't find it.

Per my 49 resto pkg from Chevrolet a 3104 has a shipping weight (dry) of
3185 and a curb weight of 3325 lbs with 1850 of those lbs on the front and
1475 on the rear.

>Also do any of you knopw what the front to rear weight distribution is?  I'm
>trying to figure my spring rate for the front coils in the IFS.

  I don't know exactly the weight difference but the SB/TH350 combo is
lighter than the I6/manual 4-spd. The granny box is one heavy dude trying
to lift it up through the access panel !

Regarding my ride, actually I think it's a little mushy. I initially cut
two complete coils from the 77 GMC springs, which was too much. I got
another set of coils from the bone yard and took out 1 1/2, which puts the
A-frames parallel with the ground. I added some rubber snubbers on the
lower A-frames for speed bumps and magically appearing steel plates 2-3"
thick left by our city work crews to cover excavations in the street.
Maybe I'm used to a little harsher ride, drove a 70 1/2 Z28 for 12 years
and both our Model A's have the old transverse front springs with dropped
axles. It seems to corner well with the radial tires and front 1 1/8 " sway
bar, but it's NO sports car! I put new (77 GMC) normal duty shocks on the
front, and in hind sight perhaps heavy duty would have been a better
choice. I did put the heavy duty models in the rear, but with an empty bed
most of the time they don't get much of a work out.
Bottom line, I guess it's a personal preference and what your used to, it's
no contest with the original worn out front suspension.
Glad the steering box worked out OK., and you will love the power brakes.

"Nothin lasts forever except old Fords and a natural stone" - Willie Nelson

http://home.utm.net/bfischer
e-mail - bfischer@utm.net  or  robert.f.fischer.jr@syntegra.com