Re: [oletrucks] 3100 AD weight - spring rate

To: "Oletrucks List" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 3100 AD weight - spring rate
From: New Mexico Jim <ADvent@thuntek.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 16:00:32 -0600
I used to do front end alignments and built quite a few monster trucks. When
choosing a spring rate, test it without shocks with a  certain amount of weight.
The job of the shock is to suppress spring oscillation, not to hold up the truck
in any fashion. It bothers me so much to see coil overs and air shocks on any
vehicle. That is a mickey mouse way of fixing a problem. I know there are going
to be disagreements here, but its the springs job to hold up the truck. In high
speed 2 wheel drive racing, a soft spring and a stiff shock  works well, by
allowing the suspension to work its whole range while the shock keeps the
springs from oscillating too much. Have you noticed that some big trucks have no
shocks at all? That's because the springs are so stiff that they don't oscillate
much at all..