Re: [oletrucks] Front brake parts

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Front brake parts
From: "Allen Jones" <jonesal@u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 13:19:18 -0700
'50 and older drums are very scarce, however can still be found in
pick-n-pulls, and I'm not aware of any aftermarket manufactures of drums.
If the drums have already been turned past the recommended limit, I'd
suggest either finding used ones, or go with an upgrade (safety first, man).
Yes, the '51+ backing plate is a bolt up to the front axle and I would guess
are much more available (the only question I have:  will the '51+ hubs fit a
'50- spindle? -- experts, what say you?  If not, your tape measure will tell
you if you can push the '51+ drum on your '48 spindles).  Your approach is
right to find take-offs from someone upgrading their truck.  In regards to
the rear brakes, if you retain your '48 axle housing, you will have to have
a '51+ backing plate also to make the full conversion.  It requires messing
around by removing the rivets and notching the *seal and bearing retainer
housing* so the backing plate will slide on.  It's a job, but doable.

Another option is to put disk brakes up front.  You need the hubs from a
'54+ (and the matching bearings and races), the brackets from Buffalo
(vendor list), misc. brake parts, and you're set.  I'm told the '54+ hub
will fit your spindle.  Not original, but a nice setup that fits on the
stock spindle/axle, you can keep your stock wheels, and it doesn't move the
lateral position of the wheel out.  A thought.

Good luck!  The huck brakes are great when they work, but I think more a
pain than the Bendix design when they don't......

Allen in Seattle
'50 3100
Inliner No. 2235