Re: [oletrucks] more 5 speed questions

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] more 5 speed questions
From: john dorsey <jrdorsey@strato.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1904 19:30:52 -0500
Jim,
Not having driven your truck I can't disagree, but I would say it may
depend upon the particular engine.

I've noticed that I've taken to driving my '49 panel (fresh '57 235
engine & original 4 speed) using only 3rd and 4th gear. 1st is
impossible, no matter how light I am on the clutch it grabs and snaps
necks. 2nd works good for squalling the tires but winds the engine out
within about 20 feet. 3rd is about like 1st is in other vehicles I've
driven.

I'm sure much of this has to do with the rear end, but I am running 32"
tall tires.

I considered going with a t-5 but I'm sure it wouldn't hold up with the
stuff I'll be pulling. I'll probably go with the 3:90 gears, that should
put me back into 1st gear!

--
John Dorsey
Wauchula, FL