Re: [oletrucks] more 5 speed questions

To: Dave Paulson <my51truck@eudoramail.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] more 5 speed questions
From: Grant Galbraith <trks@javanet.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 17:24:43 -0400
    I have heard people allude to the V-6 and/or F body being beefier than the
4 cylinders, but I don't know if this is the case and doubt it. I have
literture from Chevy that rates the S10 variants at 175 ft,
lbs., with no mention of engine application. I will agree that the world class
T-5's (88 and later GM and Mustangs) are suppossed to have stronger
gears/mainshafts but doesn't sound like these will work if you want
a mechanical speedo.
   I admit to be on somehwhat of a learnig curve on theese tranny's. I have
several, wrote a tech artilcle and have used mine for 18K behind a warmed 235.
I frequently run it up to 4K rpm with crisp shifts and have
done a burnout or two without toasting anything so far. Preferable gear ratio's
to many people come in the V-8  F body, but this will require a 2nd tranny from
a 2WD S10 to use it's tailshaft housing and mainshaft
unless you have buckets and don't mind the shifter back under the seat.
  If anyone can shed more light on this and add to/admend the tech article I
wrote (without  flamming) this info would be welcome. I only wrote the article
to help out,  pass on things  I've learned and avoid
having to repeat  every couple weeks.

Grant