Re: [oletrucks] more 5 speed questions

To: "Grant Galbraith" <trks@javanet.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] more 5 speed questions
From: "Jack Halton" <safesix@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 19:36:09 -0400
I contacted Technical Support at Transmission Technologies,
(http://www.ttcautomotive.com/), which bought all of the manual transmission
business from Borg Warner Gear. I gave them the part numbers from both my
T5s, an S10 (not sure but I think from a V6) model and one from a base V8
Camaro. They looked up the torque ratings and told me that the S10 was rated
at 190 ft/lbs and the Camaro was good for 230 ft/lbs. I asked them what
determined the torque capacity, and they said that it is mainly metallurgy
of the gears and mainshafts. Also the first gear ratio comes into play in
determining torque ratio - the higher (lower numerically) the transmission
is geared, the higher the torque rating. I don't quite understand why this
is so, but I'll take their word for it!

The guy thought I was building a race car and suggested I obtain a T5 from a
94 Mustang Cobra "R" as this is the highest rated T5 made to date. Too bad
the bolt pattern won't work...

We further discussed the World-Class vs Non World Class versions. They told
me that this upgrade was done strictly for improved shifting and involves
different bearing types (rollers vs bushings, etc) and synchro materials,
and has nothing to do with torque capacity.

Nice folks to talk to. They had previously sent me a T5 service manual at no
charge. It fully documents all repair procedures for the T5 (now called the
Tremec T5 - all reference to Borg Warner have been removed).

Jack Halton
51 GMC 1/2 ton
Winter Park FL