Re: [oletrucks] IFS brand recommendation

To: rkinas@ctinet.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] IFS brand recommendation
From: Advdesign1@aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 19:57:12 EDT
I asked my metalurgist friend about welding to a truck frame.  He said it was
no big deal welding on old trucks since they used mild steel frames.  Not to
be done on new trucks.  Car frames were welded by the 1950s, but truck frames
still had rivets in late 60s.  I wonder why?  Anyone have insight?
Bob ADler

>  Welding on a frame should be a very last resort. The reason the factory
> used
>  rivets and did not weld the components of the frame together is that the
>  heat generated by the welding process causes the steel of the frame to
>  become much to soft and much more susceptible to distortion under load.
When