Re: [oletrucks] Differential Problem

To: bmdumkee@auroranet.nt.ca, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Differential Problem
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 01:19:23 EDT
In a message dated 10/22/00 9:15:59 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
bmdumkee@auroranet.nt.ca writes:

> I am contemplating building up the two outside sides of the axle shaft
>  spacer with brass or weld to take up this extra slack?  Any other
>  suggestions?

  The ends are hardened, welding the splined ends may have adverse affects.

  Are you really stuck on keeping the priginal rear in it?  You mentioned
welding, so it'd seem you have the skills to find another later modeled rear,
with a more friendly ratio, and relocate the spring perches.

  You could look for another axle, or stock rear...should beable to find one
frmo those who've made a swap...although the GMC probably will be a tougher
find.

  There were many different Rear's GMC used...in fact I pulled a 3.08 10-bolt
out of a '55-59 GMC 1/2 ton pickup and ran it for several years...I bent an
axle...and get this, there were no C-clips...the axle bearings were pressed
on the axle...similar to the 88128 bearing used in later model axles.  So I'm
not suprised the parts guys are giving you several different options.

  Good luck.

  Mike