Re: [oletrucks] Differential Problem

To: dkrehbiel@kscable.com, bmdumkee@auroranet.nt.ca, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Differential Problem
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 11:55:56 EDT
In a message dated 10/23/00 5:44:31 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
dkrehbiel@kscable.com writes:

> The only problems with just hauling off and changing the rear end are listed
>  below. This is something I will be faced with very soon and am NOT looking
>  forward to at all.
>
>  1) Lug Nut Pattern... good luck finding a modern 6 lug pattern.. so now you
>  either get to carry two spare tires so you can change a front one, or..
make
>  an adapter plate for the rear.

  Any 60-72? Chevy/GMC pickup is 6-lug, and fairly common.

>  2) Braking system...good luck again trying to get your hucks brakes on the
>  front to work with the modern rear. I hear a proportioning valve will be
>  needed at least. I am not sure if this is a big deal or not.

  I don't think (and it shouldn't matter anyways) that he has Huck Brakes on
the GMC of this vintage.

>  3) Welding Perches.. suggest being really good at welding since these are
>  pretty crucial to be done by a professional or at least someone who knows
>  what they are doing. Lots of load bearing on these welds.

  I'd agree here, if you're an ameteur weldor, may want some help.

>  4) Drive Shaft.. You might get real lucky and find a driveshaft that is the
>  proper length. Probably not, so there is the expense of a custom
driveshaft.

   I used a '62 GMC Dana 44 10 bolt in my '59 and the original driveshaft
length was right on...also the original U-joints were a perfect fit too.  In
my '57 when I switch from the 10 bolt '55-59 GMC rear, I put in a 12 bolt
from a '63 or 64 GMC, and the driveshaft and U-joints were also a perfect
fit.  The driveline wasn't original though...because we had a TH400 in it,
and I don't recall if we shortned the original, or found another to use.

>  I am sure I have missed a few things as I am getting more and more nervous
>  about doing this. My plan at this point is to use a 55 1st series rear end.
>  Perches should already be fine, its 6 lug already, and there is a slight
>  chance of putting either all bendix brakes on it, or all hucks depending on
>  the difficulty of borrowing from the donor.

  You've got a bit more difficault task with the AD trucks, than the TF
trucks.

  Mike