RE: [oletrucks] Car haulers

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Car haulers
From: varanus@phoenix.net
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 13:04:08 -0600
On 8 Dec 2000, at 9:56, Willard, Andrew wrote:

Actually, I have done this and, at least a yeat ago, they charged a
lot of money if you either tell them you are going round trip or if you
pick up the trailer where the vehicle is. I had to BS them and tell
them I was using it local to get the $45/day rate - otherwise, they
wanted like $400 to go to Amarillo from Houston and back. I ended
up paying $150 for 3 days but with the liability that if something
happens to the trailer - your kind of screwed.
Plus, they "don't like" putting classics on their trailers because
their books don't list them - clerks are braindead!
But, going to get it yourself is the best way - see some country
side, make sure the truck arrives safely - etc.
I got into a real pickle last year when I went to pick up my 58
napco sub from grand junction, CO. Short version - uhaul wanted a
lot of money for a truck and trailer. Budget only wanted a fraction of
the price but wouldn't rent me a trailer? But, I couldn't attach a
uhaul trailer to a budget truck. So, the plan was to get the uhaul
trailer with the 58 suburban, drive down the street, swap it to the
budget and trailer the suburban home to houston. Cake...
I went in halves with a friend on the budget because they needed to
bring a load to oregon and we were due a road trip so thought on
the way home, we;d pick up the suburban.
The budget was rented but didn't have a tow hitch - liftgate instead!!
Too late to turn back, I fabricated a hitch assembly - drilled and
tapped into the liftgate assembly and bolted on a thick angle iron
while up in Northern Cal. Sketchy though...
Arrived in Grand Junction, picked up the sub - beautiful truck - went
to the uhaul dealer to pick up the trailer but it wasn;t there. Had to
drive an hour out of town to another renter. Hitched it to the subs
hitch, drove down the road, tried to make the swap and the damn
sub wouldn't fit on the damn trailer - we;re major stuck!!
Spent a day in Glenwood Springs, CO trying to fugure it out - not
very comfortable with the homemade hitch assembly in the budget
truck - half assed.
Finally broke down and hired a hauler to bring the bad boy to
houston - hated leaving it in Glenwood Springs but what other
options did I have?
So, I essentially paid (with money and stress) for the budget truck,
uhaul trailer and the homemade hitch materials (got a tap and die
set in Bend Oregon so that was cool - always wanted one of
those;). Then paid $1000 to have the sub trailered to houston.
The subs owner had taken the wrong measurements on the
wheelwidths so even though I planned everything to a T - the whole
plan backfired.
But...I got me a stocker 58 napco sub so I am happy :)
Moral of the story (and that was the short version;) - have your own
capable rig to do hauling with or pay the bucks to have it done right.
Good luck - at least your truck is a 2wd - that's easy!!
Eric Pesci