Re: [oletrucks] 54 AD Rear leaf info.

To: Nick_Griswell@SIND.COM, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 54 AD Rear leaf info.
From: "Ron Keller" <tinwiz1@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 04:11:37
Hi Nick!
  I regards to that rear end problem. I'm assuming that you want to use the
Camaro rear end AND springs "as is"..am I right?
  If so, I'd ask myself, which car/truck was meant to handle and ride too.
My money would be on that Camaro set-up.
  Usually, the newer the set up,the better the design. I've redone a number
of cars over the years that have had angled rear springs(one 1928 Essex
comes to mind a good 30 degree angle "in" at the front!) I replaced them
with a set of newer semi eliptics mounted straight and it ran
beautifully...(ok,the small block Chev may have helped a bit!....lol!)
  Many old 30's Fords upgrade to "PARALLEL REAR" springs "today" because
they have kits for that now.(Originally they used one transverse mounted
spring!)
  I've personally mounted a '57 Chev rear end and it's springs into the rear
of a 1948 Ford...almost a bolt in! And it rode like a Cadillac!
  Unless someone out there can specify one good reason why NOT to do it, I'd
upgrade to the Camaro parts "if you prefer"...I'm positive you will love the
improvement. Those old narrow stockers aren't as desirable(ride-wise) as the
Camaro springs.
  So what you ask?  Well, I used to have a rod building business (retired
now:did them since about 1967),and that's what I would tell my customer if
you were one!...(so, for whatever it's worth)
  In short...GO FOR IT!..but that's only "my" opinion!
  Ron Keller